So after an appropriate gestation – yes, it’s been 9 months – here are the finalists.
This contest was open to non-Korean background Australians.
Sixteen cooks and would be cooks, chefs and would be chefs came together for a chance to chop, fry, bake and stir their way to the land that PSY (almost) forgot – Korea.
The contest revolved around the distinctive Korean ingredient Kimchi and featured a table laid out with some of the various versions of this pickled delight (and yes – you may have thought – like I once did – there was only a single type of Kimchi).
Alas, there are many – “Fresh”, “Aged”, “Ponytail” (which contains no cabbage whatsoever) – the list goes on – Korean cuisine really is endlessly surprising!
Belated congratulations to all the contestants – it was my first time in one of these reality TV cooking contests (Korean TV was there) and was such an intense buzz.
Met some genuinely lovely people that day! :-} Gave me a new appreciation for fellow newbie folk trying their hand in shows such as #MyKitchenRules and #MasterChef. (hash tag appropriate)
The brief was simple – cook a “signature” dish – with Kimchi as the feature ingredient. This produced some fascinating and (at least of the ones I sampled) delicious dishes. Here are the entries – alphabetised by first name.
- Chik Foo – Sambal sotong Seoul style
- Craig Burbery – KBLT (Kimchi Bulgogi Lettuce Tomato)
- David Ralph – Cabbage kimchi consomme with tofu and kimchi stuffed squid with minari salsa
- Deborah Morgan –Kimchi and Capsicum Quiche
- Jason To Kimchi Chinese Egg Rolls
- Jeff Brady – Caramelised Kimchi and Apple Sesame Crumble
- Kyria Morgan – Kimchi and Mushroom Potato Bake
- Marion Heathcote – Kimchi Chou Farci
- Martine Shelton – Chicken and Kimchi Puff Pastry with Kimchi Tomato Relish
- Michael Sik – pulled pork and kimchi-slaw slider
- Nicole Storey – Pork and Kimchi Pies
- Ryan Benson – Korean tasting Plate, Korean Cocktail
- Steve Grant – Kimchi Sarma
- Teerada Jung – Kimchi Tom Yum Soup and Gochujang marinade prawn skewers
- Wee Lynn Teo – Double Kimchicken Peanut Butter Pie
- William Hird – Kimchi shakshuka
Unfortunately I was unable to obtain photos of all the entries. If your signature kimchi dish is missing – please email me email@example.com or tweet @steveskorean or plus me up on Google http://goo.gl/9dwGe7
If you would like to forward a brief description of your dish (140 characters) I’ll post that, too!